Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Braces

Paige needs braces. It is a sad fact. She, of course, is extremely excited. As if I was buying her a new car and throwing in a cell phone. She doesn't realize what this will truly entail. But I want her to have them. When she is sixteen she will be happy we did.

Yesterday we went to the consultation with Dr. Carrolton. He held the mold of Paige's mouth and told us all our options. He waited to the very end to drop the bomb. He reaches behind the things on the table and pulls out what Paige really needs . . . Orthodontic Headgear. As soon as he said the words I started to laugh, which is terrible I know. But this is what I pictured . . .

Really it will something more like this . . .


She only has to wear it 12 hours a day. So maybe from 7pm to 7am. For about 6 months. So after 20 months of wearing these braces. About 4,ooo dollars and many more appointments she should have perfect teeth. The only thing she wanted to know was why she couldn't wear the headgear to school. "Because I don't want you to get your ass kicked everyday for 6 months." I didn't really say that. Something much more maternal. I am always tender like that.

9 comments:

Pamelotta said...

God forbid she should get thirsty at school and the only thing available is the water fountain. After that she'll understand.

Tim said...

Ass kicked is about right! Kids can be soooo mean!

ericaprosser said...

Fran - Paige is so sweet & naive and you are hilarious! I am laughing so hard right now!

A-lauf said...

You need to set up a braces fund along with the college fund, and wedding fund. God Bless Billy, may he be the million-aire he needs to be.

Brandi Wilson said...

Are you kidding me? (Those were the comforting words you gave me when I told you that Miles was going to have to be in the body cast.) I don't know why someone agreeing with me about the craziness of the contraption made me feel better but it did.

So, Are You Kidding Me?

That stinks! You're so sweet when you're maternal.

Jennifer said...

You just made me laugh so hard I almost peed on myself! Oops, too much information again.

Anonymous said...

umm...you said ass

Lydianna Bradford said...

I loved having braces. I hated Kevin having braces. (Do y'all remember that?) I do love him having straight nice teeth though.

One thing to feel good about is you are really blessing Paige by taking care of this during her youth. She will smile confidently throughout her teenage years and it will save her from ever having to fund it herself as an adult. Amazingly, it's even more expensive then. Without headgear we spent in the neighborhood of 10 grand on Kevin's teeth.... I know, my braces (done by a dentist because they weren't THAT bad) only were around 2500 but that was about 15 years ago.

By the way, it is snowing here....

Francesca said...

ashlee, ashlee, ashlee, can't get to your blog, what do I do?