Saturday, December 1, 2007

Growing Up!

Tuesday I had to take Paige to two dentist appointments. So all day it was just me and her. It was during the course of this day I began to notice some interesting things about my oldest baby. She really isn't a baby anymore. Well not really, but kinda. As the day went on I saw a strange mix of kid/young women things emerge from her. I looked at her that morning and thought to myself, "she is going to be a teenager if I blink my eyes." But I found there is still some little girl in her.

Everywhere we went throughout the day she wanted to hold my hand. She wasn't embarrassed at all. She, like the child she is, unashamedly clung to me in every store and along every stroll. This is the child I know.

As we were being seated in the Olive Garden the lady grabbed a coloring sheet and crayons. I immediately thought Paige would not want them. But as we sat at our table she grabbed a bright blue crayon and happily worked on mazes and puzzles without the slightest hesitation.

When we went to her next appointment she was a little nervous and wanted me to go back with her. But when we got back there she was so big and brave about things I would have cried and curled up into the fetal position over. A little later they put a boy in the seat next to her. He was about twelve and very cute. I saw her notice him. Before my very eyes I saw a little more of the child slide away and some young women take hold.

About midnight I was pulled from a deep slumber to Paige standing by my bed holding her stomach. Before I could even give her any directions she ran to my bathroom and was sick. She called for me like a child, and Lord forgive me, it was sweet to my ears. I went in and held her hair back and wipe her face with a cool washrag and when she was done I hugged her like a little baby.

As I think back to this one day I see all the signs. Soon enough she may not want to hold my hand everywhere we go. She may not need me as much as she does now. She may brutally rebuff the offer of a coloring page at restaurants. And she may obsess about her clothes and notice every boy within a 10 foot range. But not today. And that is enough for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love paige. 'nuf said.

trish said...

What a blessing is is to have eyes to see our chilren like water through our hands. To enjoy the feeling as it flows but to also know how it's moisture is a precious thing. I think motherhood is filled with moments like these. It is only every so often we see it. When I am irritated I pray for those eyes to see my children. You are a beautiful mother.

Unknown said...

WOW. AND TO THINK IT SEEMED JUST YESTERDAY SHE WAS SO LITTLE AND A BABY IN YOUR ARMS. TIME PASSES SO FAST THE OLD WE GET. WHY IS THAT? AND THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE CARD AND CANDY FOR JAMES. BY THE WAY , SWEET TARTS IS ONE OF HIS FAVORITES. HOW DID YOU KNOW? THANKS

Brandi Wilson said...

I feel this same way about Joey. Every day he seems to be getting older, but he still wants me to be close to him. I want to treasure this time as much as I can.

Amanda said...

Sometimes I look at Alexis and I just want to cry. She's getting so big and wanting to do so much on her own now. But then she'll hold my hand unexpectandly or snuggle up to me while we're out in public and it reminds me just how little time I have left with her doing those little things.

Anonymous said...

God is SO going to use her in mighty ways....
She is so sweet...
And they do grow up so FAST...
I wish sometimes that I could turn back time with Casey